Mention the holidays and most of us are immediately transported to a favorite family tradition: preparing time-honored recipes, baking cookies, decorating our homes and spending time with family and friends. Increasingly, Dallas - Fort Worth area families are creating a new tradition of giving back to their community during the holidays, particularly through service opportunities in which the entire family can participate.
This year, Feed My Starving Children (FMSC), a Christian non-profit that tackles world hunger by sending volunteer-packed, nutritious meals to 70 countries, invites families to start or continue a holiday tradition of service by volunteering at the Hope Filled Holiday event Sunday, December 2 and Monday December 3 at the Irving Convention Center.
This MobilePack event will give individuals and families the opportunity to join more than 4,000 volunteers to pack 750,000 meals over the course of the two days. Each two-hour volunteer shift includes an orientation, time spent packing meals in an assembly-line fashion and the opportunity to learn more about hunger in our world and how FMSC works to alleviate it. Families will learn more about the problem of hunger around the world and feel good about the positive impact they have made through packing nutritious meals.
Volunteering at the Hope Filled Holiday event can truly be a multi-generational endeavor. Kids as young as five can pack meals if accompanied by an adult. There are seated jobs available for those who cannot stand for a two-hour packing session. Volunteers need to register at http://fmsc.org/txholiday
- Hope Filled Holiday MobilePack, an FMSC food-packing event, to be held at Irving Convention Center, 500 West Las Colinas, Irving Tx
- An estimated 750,000 meals will be hand-packed for hungry children around the world
- That’s enough to feed approximately 2,055 children for a year
- Sunday, Dec.2- Monday, Dec. 3; various shift times (see link for details)
- Irving Convention Center –500 West Las Colinas Boulevard, Irving Tx 75039
- Hunger-relief organization Feed My Starving Children
- 4,000 volunteers will pack 750,000 meals with their own two hands in just two days